Monday, December 14, 2009

Editing Analysis

One piece of media that I really like the editing for is the music video from the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ song Scartissue. What I really like about the editing in this video is how simply it tells the story of all the scars that the band has gotten from the life in the desert. One thing I really like about it is how it keeps continuity with the time of the day, especially at the end of the video when they have all of their magic hour shots. I also like the pacing that the video has as a result of the editing. Seeing as how the video is supposed to have a depressing, reflective feel, I think that the slow pacing and extended shots work really well with trying to achieve these aesthetics. I also feel like the extended shots and slow cuts go along with the scenery. Taking place in the desert, it seems to represent a place where time stand still and the longer shots and slow cuts match that by slowing down the time frame of the video. Another aspect that is interesting about the video is the order of the shots. I like how they have a good balance between them driving and then taking pit stops in the desert. I think that by doing this, the shot sequence again adds to the idea of slowing down time because it shows their disregard for a time frame for which they must end their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment