Thursday, May 14, 2009

What I Hear

I sat on the stoop of my apartment in Williamsburg in Brooklyn and listened for the sounds of my street. At first it was pretty quiet and all I could really hear was the wind blowing. It picked up and I could hear the branches rustling in the tree that was on the street. Then I saw some people walking by on the street talking in Spanish. Next I saw this guy walking down the street with this mannequin and his dog. I heard parts of the mannequin fall and the dog became a little scared and he told the dog not to be afraid. I sat there for a little longer and not much happened but I did hear some cars drive by and I could hear what music the people driving them were playing. I also heard an ice cream truck go by, but there weren’t any kids around so it didn’t stop. While I was sitting there, I also hear the front door to my apartment building squeek open and then slam shut and heard my neighbor’s footsteps as he went down the stoop. Some more people went by and were having conversation but not about anything too important. I also thought I might be able to hear the J train going over the Williamsburg bridge but I think I was only imagining it. After I sat out there I kind of realized that my block is pretty quiet, especially during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment